Thanks to Noir @ Group Recipes for this delicious Golden Fig Bread Recipe:
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick, or margarine)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups dried figs, stems removed, coarsely chopped
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, heat the apple juice over moderately high heat just until boiling, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add butter, and stir until melted.
- Stir in the salt and figs.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla until well incorporated. Stir in fig mixture and lemon rind.
- Add all to the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened.
- **Do not over mix.**
- Spoon the batter into a greased 8"x4"x2" loaf pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool upright in the pan on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Remove and let cool completely.
- Makes 1 loaf.